How To/// Dye Bottle Brush Trees

Dyeing bottle brush trees was such a fun project and fool proof. Seriously anyone can do this. I started with Tim Holtz Bottle Brush trees. They are a nice, natural color making it so easy to dye the color you prefer. If you have green trees simply soak them in bleach until they are a neutral color. To dye: I used Tim Holtz Distress Reinkers. All the colors are incredible: Spun Sugar was one of my favorites and Peacock Feathers. You can use anything to dye including mist colors you already have, RIT dye, fruit, or seriously even kool aid. bottle brush trees diy     For dyeing one tree: I filled a 2 ounce bottle halfway with water then a 3/4 full droppper of ink. (Watch video below for hands on.)   (Snuggling my girl even tighter since the shootings in Connecticut. It is heartbreaking and I am still aching for the families. xoxo Adding my prayers and tears for Connecticut & searching for ways to support causes that help prevent this from happening again!)   CLICK HERE  to WATCH this fun, little VIDEO/// If it doesn’t show up above. xo, Lizzy

73 thoughts on “How To/// Dye Bottle Brush Trees

1. Elizabeth Kartchner Post author

I used a completely different color dye for each tree but you can add more water or and less dye to get a different shade… or definitely try mixing. That would be fun! thanks!

1. Lisa W.

Way cute…and adorable little girl also:) My heart to breaks, just cannot get my brain to even imagine such horrow. I too kept my kiddo’s close, and pray!!!

2. Winnie

What a great video! Thanks for sharing! I just bought a set of trees and a wreath from Tim Holtz. I was going to use Dylusion spray….. I will try both. Thanks a lot!

3. Pingback: dear lizzy – i love this… | Tim Holtz

4. Latrice

Seriously with the super cute display and the yellow door and Avery just being perfect. I love your house. Can I move in ;) Xo

5. sarah Lewis

Love Love Love your display and your video and your background music and your elf on the shelf and your daughter!

6. Bonnie

Thank you so very much! I loved this when I saw it on a blog around CHA time and have been obsessed with how beautiful it was. It felt like Christmas came early when I saw it on your blog and even more so when you said you would post instructions. My trees just arrived in the mail and now I plan to happily mist away tonight! I wish you and your sweet family a blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year! XOXOXO

7. Cheryl VanNorman

Thanks for sharing. I love the trees and the display- What is it made of? Thinking rulers would like cool if they are wide enough.
    Merry Christmas

8. Phoenix

I found your tutorial thanks to Tim. I just bought several of Tim’s trees and was wondering what would be the best way to color them. Now I don’t have to wonder anymore. Thanks

9. Natalie Tran

I died when I first saw Mario’s BTS picture of these on twitter and love them still now that they are on your blog! Thanks for the tips on how to make them ourselves!

10. Karin

Thank you so much for sharing your great video with us, I fo-und it via a link from Tim’s blog. I love your fabulous trees and how you’ve displayed them.

11. Melanie

Love the tree display and the video and song. I have not seen these trees in Michael’s or A.C. Moore yet though! Thanks for sharing!

12. Mary

Thanks so much for sharing your technique for dying the lovely trees. I used the itty bitty in a bulb ornament to hang off my “JOY” mantle centerpiece. I just rubbed it lightly on a distress pad and it also picked up the color.

13. Lisa P

Love it! I love the display of trees! I love your video! Your photography is out of this world! Glad I found you! thanks

14. Christine Ortman

I visited through T!m’s blog today & love your beautiful ideas. Thanks for the inspiration and clear instructions.
    Happy new follower,
    Christine

15. sharon l-s

Came to your site via Tim Holtz’s post. I have the trees and forgot why I ordered them all those months ago. Love the yellow door with the trees. tfs the photos and the video.

We too are having a hard time trying to understand the Newtown violence. Wish all peace and love this holiday season.

16. BJ

Super video, loved the music too. Knew there’d be a reason to get some re-inkers one day. Already have the trees, perhaps I could use stains instead. Thanks BJ

17. Monica

Oh these are so pretty and adorable..Just love all the different colors mixed so pretty on the shelves !
    Can I ask where did you buy the trees ? I suppose it need to be solely white trees ? Living in Spain makes it necesary to find the trees on-line…
    Can you help me….Please ??
    Thanks for sharing this lovely video !!
    Hugs from Spain….

18. Gretchen Wilson

What a wonderful surprise to see how this is done, I have lot’s of tree’s but no color. Now I better get busy. Thanks so much for the wonder turtorial and the bare feet.

19. Jennifer D.

Your daughter is gorgeous may God/Goddess keep her safe. I’m also having trouble wrapping my mind around the tragedy in Conn. Thanks for putting something beautiful into this world.

20. Nancy McGrew

I loved those trees for many years especially the old ones…When Tim came out with them I was like, “that’s what I’m talking about.” Then to see them colored was even better…Great tutorial Lizzy!

21. Sharon

This is great! I love the display of trees with all the different colors. Definitely a craft I’ll do over the next few days. Thanks for showing us how it’s done. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

22. Pingback: it’s beginning to look a lot like christmas …

23. Lashawn

You made some good points there. I looked on the web to
    find out more about the issue and found most people will go along with
    your views on this web site.

24. Pingback: Oh Christmas Tree |

25. Pingback: DIY Bottle Brush Trees | Crafted by Lindy

26. Pingback: Gold Dipped Bottle Brush Tree from Studio DIY |

27. Pingback: DIY Marquee sign from a shipping crate and Rit dye! » Debi's Design Diary