Fall Foliage Cards

For a few years now I have been wanting to mail my Grandma some fall foliage… since she lives in San Diego and doesn’t experience autumn quite the same. Although I would take living in San Diego over watercolored leaves once a year in a heart beat. And I mean a hummingbird or baby in your tummy heartbeat.
When I was in college I lived out there and went to school for a semester. I don’t know why I ever came back. I really think I am meant to live in that direction. But the mountains pull me home every time. Either that or Cafe Rio… but California has those now too so they definitely win.

Well, this year we were determined to send Grandma Charlotte some autumn happiness… Avery drew a map and called it our leaf adventure and we walked the streets finding the brightest colored leaves. Tossing the meh and only keeping the colorful ones that made us ooh & ahhh. Apparently we’ve become leaf snobs.

We took our collection home and flattened them in a book overnight. Then designed the cards.

For the first card I used some of my favorite paper from the last Crate release. I’m obsessed.
Next, I attached a little bag, washi tape, heart sticker, Dear Lizzy glitter ribbon and epoxy brad. I filled it with some tiny colorful leaves and stamped with my favorite Dear Lizzy arrow stamp.

For the next card I started with kraft cardstock and folded into 3 sections. Then I punched a hole through the top section. I added a sticker from my recent Dear Lizzy sticker book and a Dear Lizzy fabric brad. If you have the sticker book you will notice that I punched a whole in the center of the round sticker with a 1 1/4″ punch so I could use it as a frame.

For this card, I diecut the words using my Silhouette Cameo. I loved how the leaves could show through to the front adding some color. I taped the leaves with washi tape inside and added a veneer wood leaf  to the front. Keeping this design super simple… I promise it’s not just cause I’m lazy.

Inside I stamped with my Dear Lizzy arrow stamp, also Dear Lizzy date stamp and included a little message.

Some more pics of our adventure:

23 thoughts on “Fall Foliage Cards

1. Monica

Ok….have to ask….baby #4 on the way? You keep dropping little hints and some of us (maybe just me) are dying to know!!!

2. Julie S.

I love this idea and that HAPPY FALL card! Which font did you use on it? I’ve been looking for some nice simple fonts for my Silhouette. And I totally understand your love of San Diego! We almost moved there from Oregon 12 years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter. But we stayed near family & friends instead of escaping to paradise……

3. Jenny

i love those cards! my paper love started out with card making, eventually i caved & started scrapbooking. these cards make me want to start making them again. i have to ask – where are the chevron leggings from and the fringe boots?

4. sophie

so so cute. I love how you seek beauty everywhere and that everything you create is so whimsical and intended to add beauty and love to this world. You are an amazing lady. I still regret so much not to have met you in Lyon last year: will you try to come this coming year?? you know it would be a perfect moment for me to meet you in France.

5. Kathy

Love your idea about the leaves and the special card, I know the recipient will really appreciate it…love your work. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

6. Mirta Sanchez

First, I think it’s delicious how much you love being a mom. Your girls are so BLESSED!
    Second, I know, I live in Northern CA in Sactown but Autumn is just arriving. Today it’s like 75 and sunny. I am still sleeping with the windows open.
    So ready for my suede boots and capes!
    LOVE the cards! Lovely idea!

7. cate

Dear Liz,

I was the girl that ran into you and your cute daughter at the GAP today! My husband teased me the rest of the way home because all the silly things I said or didn’t say when I ran into you (sorry about that! haha) I was totally star struck! I have been a devoted reader for so long! And I think you are just as beautiful and seem just as nice in real life :)

love cate

8. destiny

What a wonderful idea… I wish someone would send me some fall leaves!! The cards are beautiful!!! I’m sure Grandma was delighted to get that happy mail!

9. Laura

These cards are so amazing! I live in San Diego, and sure miss those beautiful fall leaves I enjoyed when going to BYU in your neck of the woods! Beautiful work as usual!

10. Pingback: Speedlink Saturday: Nov 3/12

11. Anna Vaschina

Elizabeth, do you know the name of that spikey circle punch you use. I would like to get one but can’t seem to find one at all and possibly I have the wrong name for it as even all my google searching comes up with nothing.
    Help?