To Build A Home // Cooper’s Run

Despite the fact that Collin is outrageous in his humor and pseudo-personality Cleetus – He actually is a softy and wouldn’t hurt a fly. (Except a couple days ago when he literally squished a fly with my Anthropologie catalogue, what a disgrace! ; ) As a hobbie and side job he enjoys making videos and is amazing at it! Being the giving person he is, he was looking for an opportunity to share his talents with video to help someone tell their story. The Koffard family contacted him and it was the perfect fit. He cried with the family during the interview and when he was editing I would peek in on him and he would be wiping tears.
Saturday night I went with Collin to view the video with this incredible family and it was touching.
As a mother, I think it’s natural to worry about anything ever happening to our children. It’s something I try not to think about too much but it’s on my mind. I can’t even fathom the thought of holding or kissing one of my girls for the last time. I think also having lost my father, I don’t want to feel that desperate pain again. I really don’t think that I could handle it with as much grace and hope as Jana has done so. She amazes me. The whole family does.
Now about the last song in the video, a few months ago I was asked to be in a video for BYU women’s conference and the filmmaker introduced us to this song. Since then Collin learned it on the piano and it really is my favorite song he’s ever played. It’s called To Build A Home… The lyrics are moving. There’s a tree in the Koffard’s yard you’ll see in the video and after they watched it Collin mentioned how when this trial came to blow them down they held onto each other and were stronger because of it.

By the cracks of the skin I climbed to the top
I climbed the tree to see the world
When the gusts came around to blow me down
I held on as tightly as you held onto me
I held on as tightly as you held onto me
'Cause, I built a home
For you
For me
Until it disappeared
From me
From you
And now, it's time to leave and turn to dust

Click here to watch the video!
Check out CooperRun.org! Come run with us July 28th to honor this sweet boy’s memory and a good cause!

38 thoughts on “To Build A Home // Cooper’s Run

1. Mirta Sanchez

I watched this video on Facebook. Gut wrenching.
    Your hubs sure has a story telling talent! What a blessing for this family to be able to tell their sad, sad story in such a beautiful way!
    I was particularly wondering about the song at the end as it plucked at my heart strings.
    Watching this video first thing on a Monday morning sure put it all into perspective for me! THANKS COLLIN!

2. laurie lariviere

Liz, there are no words to describe how beautiful this video is, how talented Collin is and how very, very sad that story is…my heart goes out to this family, what wonderful and sweet people.

3. Jen

thank-you Colin – what a gift you have. Bless those people for turning their trial into such a beautiful thing for everyone. So grateful for the knowledge of eternal families. Thanks for sharing Liz.

4. Kristen Howard

So sad, yet inspiring at the same time. The video is amazing, as usual. I will be sweeter to my kids tonight, after watching, that’s for sure.

5. Michelle Gala

This video is beautiful. This family has such an amazing strength to overcome such grief and to find the power to celerbrate this young boys life with their community. Collin has captured this story perfect, and I’m sure the family with will treasure it.

6. Megan

Thank you for sharing this precious video. Collin is so very talented. I can’t imagine having to go through what this family has. I wish that I lived closer so that I could particapate in this annual run.

7. stephanie b.

Tears were streaming down my face as I watched the entire video. Such a touching story and portrayal. Beautiful camerawork really made the family’s story come alive. Collin has such a gift.

8. Julie {CalleLillyCafe}

This took me back to when I was younger & did the same, lay on the warm driveway. So tragic & such a great loss. Beautiful & touching video by Collin. Thank you for sharing. Had to p/u Gramma after watching this & thought about my girls the entire way. Remembering to be kinder, more gentle… more patient. Day to day happens so fast. My daughter will enter high school this year. The time will fly by I know. Our 26 y/o lives in COS. We miss her every day. We still have 3 at home that drive us nuts. I’m going to share this w/my husband as well. From time to time you hear a story that makes you want to be a better parent. Treasure the little moments bcuz you don’t know if they’ll be there tomorrow. This was it. My heart breaks for this family. How wonderful to be positive in the end & turn it all into something big.

9. SuZeQ

OMG … I cannot even imagine. What a beautiful little boy and what a beautiful story. Collin did a beautiful job with the video. I hope this family stays as happy as they look as they sit around the table laughing.

10. Bea Monforte

What a beautiful and touching video. Your husband is incredibly talented (and belive me, I don’t say it very often, my dad was film/tv director and I’m very picky) and this family story connected me with a lot of feelings and 2 truths: life goes on allways and even in the sadest situation, remains beauty…
    It remembered me too the day my dad passed away, so unexpected, so full of emotions so sad and so “it’s ok, he is where he must be with the Lord”…
    Thank you for sharing it (I can’t stop crying now but I enjoyed it :D)
    xoxo, Bea

11. Pat Rice

I appreciate you sharing your husband Collin’s work. But I would like to thank you mostly for sharing the story of Copper. I also have a son who is now seventeen years old, when he was young he too would lay in the driveway to warm up after running through the sprinkler or playing in the pool. We are blessed something like this never happen to him. My heart and prayers go out to the Koffard family. I am unable to do the run since I am California but due to Collin’s beautiful touching video I was able to make a donation to a good cause. Thank you and Collin for sharing the Koffard story of Copper. I hope more of your bloggers will donate to the Copper’s Run. God Bless to all.

12. Roberta

Nicely done Collin, what a beautiful story and family. Where did he find the sheet music for the song?

13. Libby

Collin has done a beautiful and sensitive job of integrating the grotesque tragedy that cost an innocent life and a lifetime of loss for Cooper’s family with the family’s desire to honor Cooper and give to others.

1. Domenico

If you live near Orange County I believe the banners are referring to a boy who nearly drowned in 1998, and has some brain damage.

14. Daphne Tan

I like Collin’s video very much, not only this particular video clips. He is so talented and I can’t believe this is only his past time and he is not doing this on a full time basis!

I watched this video twice and went on searching more information about little cooper. I have a toddler boy too and I felt like hugging him after watching the video. My prayer goes to little copper’s family. God bless them all.

15. Domenico

What a strong family. Couldn’t keep it together when his sister said, “… it always feels like someone is missing,” just makes your heart ache.

16. donna

Your video was truly wonderful, I visited the site and made a donation since we live too far to attend and participate in such a meaningful family and community activity to honor a little loved son and brother. We will make this a yearly donation to honor this darling boy.

17. Esther

Liz, this is so touching… I have a 3year old boy, and I can’t stand the only idea that anything bad could happen to him… I can’t imagine the feelings of this situation…
    This is a great family, God bless them.
    Thanks for sharing, congratulations to Collin, he has an special gift…

18. Tami M.

What an absolutely touching story. I could feel the love that Collin captured so beautifully from this remarkable family. Such a tragic story but yet so beautiful at the same time. Collin has an amazing talent!

19. Stacy W.

This story is so sad but I am thankful that you shared this with us. I pinned it and put it on Facebook because I think this is a powerful video. Collin has got skills and it was awesome of him to want to help the family share their story.

20. Kim Woods

I have to admit I can only get through half of it. Maybe I’ll find courage to get through the whole thing. The story is unfathomable yet the family shows strength beyond grasp. This story came just in time for me to stop and appreciate all I have in this world and beyond. God has graced Collin with a wonderful talent that he uses in just the right way. From this video to Cleetus video blogs it is awesome!

21. Carol W.

What a wonderful tribute to Cooper’s memory that his family has created! Collin’s video is remarkable. Words can not describe the emotion I felt watching this beautiful video. Thank you for sharing this video and incredible story.

22. Tiffany

Ugh. I just cried the big ugly cry thinking of my sweet babies. I pray everyday that God gives me many days with my sweet gifts, knowing that they are on loan from our Heavenly Father. Thank you for sharing this touching video. Collin, your work is beautiful. So proud that you choose to use your talents for good.

23. Lori Kolberg

I have loved watching Collin’s videos in the past, what talent, but this one was amazing. We are good friends with the Koffords and they are truly incredible people. Thank you for using your talents to share this story.

24. Danell

That was so very sad to watch not only the loss that the family had to go through but it was even harder to watch as I have a son named Cooper with blonde hair not much younger than their Cooper would be today. It shook me to my core the thought of losing my Cooper. What an amazing video Collin did and a wonderful ending to such a sad story. I will be donating to Cooper’s run this year!! Thank you for sharing.

25. Heather

Amazing video. Colllin did a great job capturing the mood. It was sad, beautiful, and hopeful, all at the same time. What a tragic event but what an amazing family who has moved forward (but not forgotten) and tried to create something special for others. I am truly touched.

26. Kelly in NB

collin–talent beyond belief to cover this tragedy in such an inspirational way. after a night of short tempers on my part-i’ll be hugging them more tightly in the morning. thank you Collin for that reminder.