diy: pretty petals tee

Besides taking the coolest photos, this sweet girl enjoys reminding us about the baby in my tummy. She’ll say to Collin, “There’s a baby in mommy’s tummy! My tummy has cheetos and apples in it.”

Here’s another quick tutorial for an embellished tee using fabric die cut flowers.

-First, die cut flowers from fabric.
I used my Big Shot and this die to cut the flowers and prefer knit fabric so the edges don’t fray.
-Pin the flowers where you want them on the shirt. (You can see I only pinned the two on the right the flowers on the left are anxiously waiting to be pinned.)
-Next, after you’ve mapped out where you want them you can start sewing them down.
-Remove a pin from a flower then fold the flowers into fourths, this blossoms the flower a bit.
-Use a needle and thread to sew the flowers to the shirt. Mix the large flowers and the small flowers. Keep adding them until you are happy with it.

There you have it, sew pretty petals along the neckline for another simple way to dress up a tee.
Die cutting machine: Big Shot; Flower Die

53 thoughts on “diy: pretty petals tee

1. Anonymous

Love this idea, so simple and elegent. I have two questions…where do you buy your t-shirts? and do you use a t-shirt of the same to cut the flowers or just buy material and if so, where? I have limited access to fabric stores, so would love to locate a store online.

Thanks,
    Kim

2. Jessica Woodford

I am going to dress up some tanks for the summer months using this fabulous idea!

Thanks!

3. Yvonne

Beautiful photo!!! Love the t-shirt idea…you are so dang creative! And Congratulations…I missed the first baby on the way post…just catching up on your blog! Wow…that is just GREAT news…love the baby smell too and miss it so much…my lil munchkin is almost 15. Enjoy this sweet time for it goes so quick!

4. Abraham + Marci

I love it! It really makes me want to make one but I don't know how to tie off a stitch. Maybe you can do a little tutorial on simple stitching? My mom had a sewing machine but the on and off button broke so she said it was a sign we wern't ment to sew:)

5. elizabeth kartchner

Good idea Marci!

it was just a really simple stitch of an x on the flower to the shirt. I doubled it to hold better.

6. elizabeth kartchner

Teresa,

since cream is an easy color to match I didn't need to buy 2 shirts. Instead I matched some knit fabric at Joanns.
    πŸ™‚

7. Mandi C

Alright girl, how do you wash these? I keep wanting to make these pretty tees, but do they hold up in the wash?! How do you keep them from fraying, or does jersey not fray?

Congrats on your big news! πŸ˜€

8. Michela

So cute! (as always!!) Really wanna try this one out soon! I dont have a big shot- anything else you would suggest to use?

9. everyday inspirations

Love this! Thanks for your tutorial and photos – such a great and easy project to do.

Congrats on your news too – so excited for you!

catherine s.

10. Drama queens mum (Kimberly)

This is so pretty. I actually bought 1 of these shirts at Walmart today. I can't sew.

11. Chloe

Gorgeous tee Lizzy! Might have to start making some in maternity size so you'll have some at the ready for a few months time! LOL!

Doesn't Avery say just the sweetest things?!

12. Anonymous

Lizzy I just love it. I have just finished your last idea for the tee shirt (after some time) I just can't wait to finish this idea now.
    My friends just love it.
    Thanks for all your ideas and time.
    LOL

13. Rachel@oneprettything.com

This is so pretty Dawn just emailed me about it and I'm so glad she did. I would love to link to this if you didn't mind.

14. Laura O'Hearon

Hey, is there anyway you'd be willing to sell packets with cut out flowers on your etsy shop? I don't have the gadgets to cut out the flowers but I do have a cream wondertee that I would love to try this on. Let me know if you ever decide to do something like that. lauraohearon@hotmail.com

15. Anonymous

I love this idea? Could you possibly do an online video showing step by step and post it to u tube? I would love to make one for the summer…. it's darling!
    -mindy

16. Natalie Park

Can you use a cuttle bug machine with this die? Do you know? I would love to make one but I don't want to go out and buy the big shot if I can use it with the machine I have! Thanks Lizzy!

17. Kara

oh, my goodness, I am SO doing this!

So charmed to have "met" your blog, I've added you to my reader, too.

18. Bridget

I want to make this too, but I have a few questions. Are you sewing more than one in the same place? Are you sewing them flat and just sewing them close together, or sewing them in a folded manner? I assume you are hand sewing this time instead of machine?

19. Jan B Yeprat

Love this tee. I would like to try it, but I can't figure out exactly how the flat flowers get to full and puffy. Can you explain? Thanks so much.

20. Pingback: Academia Craft | Artesanato e artes para relaxar | DIY: 3 Dicas para customizar suas blusas!

21. Wendy Walker

I would love to make this. Both the machine and dies are out of stock. Could you put the pattern on this site or e mail it to me?
    When sewing the flowers down do you do it at the tip of the fold?
    Just looooove this idea.